Name Of The Book: The Curveball
Name Of The Author: Colby Sharma
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Colby Sharma LLB., is a law graduate from the University of Liverpool, an entrepreneur and an international traveller dedicated to making the world a brighter place. This is his first novel.
ABOUT THE BOOK
The Curveball by Colby Sharma is a thorough and thought-provoking page-turner. This book takes a seeker on a journey of self-discovery, not only by providing helpful strategies that encourages curiosity and introspection, but by also taking reader's hand and walking step by step through the journey of the main character. It is an extremely engaging book which gives reader a hope that there is always a light at the end of the tunnel. The narrative brings out an interesting parallel between a game of baseball and the adversity one faces in their lives. Adversity is part of life that can make or break you, the choice is yours. The protagonist faces many adversities but instead of succumbing to that he has discovered his true self. It is a motivational read which guides you towards the solution that inspires you to take up challenges in life. The book talks about many life lessons that people have forgotten and need to be reminded.
Author also manifests the importance of having a coach (in this book it's Spooky) in life who neither teaches you nor helps you but reminds you of an ability you already possess that can make your life worth living for. One of the best lesson he describes from game of baseball that is my personal favorite is-
"Baseball is life. Its full of curveballs. Full of challenges. Every pitch is adversity. Everyone is threat. An obstacle. But look all of these adversities an an opportunity".
LIFE LESSONS FROM THE BOOK
- Take one step at a time. Small steps help you get started and leads to tremendous ripple effect. They help us create valuable habits, which help us achieve big goals at the same time are attainable and specifically designed to not feel overwhelming.
- Ego is our biggest enemy. It prevents us from learning and developing. It always makes you over-estimate your own abilities and worth, and under-estimate the effort and skill required to achieve your goal. It will keep you out of touch with reality. "Ego can be great when things are going well, but it's a disaster when adversity comes along:- Colby
- Stop trying to be perfect. Greatness is not about being perfect, but making mistakes and learning from them. When we try to make things perfect we bind our creativity.
- Without grit, talent may be nothing more than an unmet potential. Grit is passion and perseverance for long-term and meaningful goals.
- Be patient and always wait for the right moment. There is a saying "Good things comes to those who waits". Patience allows you to take better decisions and leading to greater success.
- Do not forget your basics. When things are hard, it's the simple things you forget. They are the foundation from which all amazing feats are derived.
- You have to choose your response when things are tough. "Every choice you make eliminates its opposite - Colby. Take emotions as an example, you cannot hold two opposite emotions at the same time. You cannot be happy and angry at the same time.
- According to Colby, Adversity is a team sport. Even when you are alone you draw on the strength of others in time of difficulties. Working in a team not just enable you to share ideas and responsibilities but reduces stress and makes you a happier person.
- Identify what you are good at, and this can be done if you are self-aware. You know your rituals or routine, a set of habits that you repeat when you do what you are best at.
FROM THE BOOK- SPOOKY'S RULES FOR GRIT
- One base at a time
- Choose your pitch
- Remember your rituals
- Adversity is a team Sport
"You Don't succeed in spite of adversity. You succeed because of it"
MY TAKE ON THE BOOK
I always admire people who can bring out life lesson from any sport. Playing sports is fun. But the best part is, rule of game teaches invaluable life lessons that will apply to just about anything you pursue for the rest of your life. I always believed in accountable partner or an importance of having a coach in life. They guide you when things go out of control and show you the path that leads to success. Author has portrayed similar things in this book too. Bryce the protagonist when gets lost and loses hope, Spooky the coach helped him find the real purpose of his life.
If you are looking for some solid life lessons and want some stability in your life. You must read this book.
Book Format: Paperback / Kindle Edition
Price: 235 INR / 107.91
Publisher: Jaico Publishing House